Spaghetti squash “noodles” and broccolini get tossed with two kinds of cheeses for an enlightened spaghetti squash lasagna. You can bake this spaghetti squash casserole recipe right in the shells for an impressive presentation— and for fewer bowls to clean up after dinner!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Whether you’re a first-timer and have no idea how to cook a spaghetti squash, or you’re just on the hunt for new spaghetti squash recipes, our cheesy broccolini spaghetti squash recipe is what’s for dinner— in only an hour.
We’re not trying to demonize pasta here; we’d eat it every day of the week! But maybe you enjoyed a cinnamon roll for breakfast, grabbed a bagel for lunch, and are now feeling in need of a low-carb recipe for dinner. Or maybe you’re trying out the gluten-free thing, or even just trying out the eating vegetables thing. (Some of us can relate!) We’re into how many home chefs are starting to get funky with healthy veggie substitutes for pasta, like our favorite zoodles (zucchini noodles) and canoodles (carrot noodles). But the amazing thing about spaghetti squash is that it already looks like pasta in its natural state: no fancy equipment, no shredding, no julienning, and no spiraling involved!
Spaghetti squash looks and acts like pasta, but has about ⅙ of the calories, ¼ of the carbohydrates, twice as much vitamin B-6 and potassium, plus important antioxidants. We weren’t just satisfied with that, though; we also threw in some garlicky sautéed broccolini. (You don’t need us to explain why that’s good for you!) A blend of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and some Italian seasoning ensure that this baked spaghetti squash really hits the spot.
Cheesy Broccolini Spaghetti Squash
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
- 2½ – 3 pounds of spaghetti squash (about 1 large or 2 medium squash)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of broccolini, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 – 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese – divided
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese – divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a fork, then place on a sheet pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the flesh is tender.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking, heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broccolini, chili flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and cook until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- When the spaghetti squash comes out of the oven, allow it to cool slightly, then cut it in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the seeds out and use a fork to scrape the threads of the squash into the bowl with the broccolini mixture.
- Place the squash shells cut-side-up on a baking dish.
- Gently mix the squash with the broccolini mixture.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese and ¾ cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly divide the vegetable mixture between the two squash shells.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Adjust the oven temperature to broil, and broil the squash until the cheese has melted and started to brown. Serve warm.
What do you put on top of spaghetti squash? Pesto? Marinara and meatballs? Share your favorite spaghetti squash recipes with us!