Cheesy broccoli and rice cooked in one pot with lean chicken breasts is the perfect family friendly dinner. This is the kind of dish that makes me think of my childhood. Full of protein, carbohydrates, and vegetables, this is a balanced one-pot dish that goes from fridge to table in 30 minutes! You probably have everything you need on hand to whip this up tonight! If you want to use frozen broccoli in place of fresh, you can; just make sure it is thawed. The leftovers on this dish get better the next day, when all of the spices and cheese have really had the chance to make friends.
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (I like to brown my chicken breasts while still whole and then cut)
1 cup white long grain rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix all of the spices together.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil on medium-high. Rub the chicken breasts with the spices.Add the chicken breasts and cook, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides., about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir constantly for one minute. Add the broth, stir, reduce heat, and cover. Allow this to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and continue to cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring as needed to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Top with the remaining cheese, cover, and place back on medium heat for 2 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.