We love learning about different ways to prepare our eggs, and we also love baking eggs directly into other foods, so we flipped for this idea from Cooking Light. All you need are some tomatoes, some eggs, and anything else you’d like to serve alongside your dish to create a low-calorie breakfast that’s flavorful and also beautiful to look at.
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, then slice each tomato in half crosswise.
- Scoop out the seeds and flesh, using either a grapefruit spoon or a knife and spoon.
- Spray a pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, then place the tomatoes in the pan, cut side up. Then crack each egg into a measuring cup or ramekin before pouring each egg into a tomato cup.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until eggs have reached your desired firmness. Check after 10 minutes, then again every 2-3 minutes to make sure you don’t overcook.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve (if desired) on a piece of toast.