Here’s a fun twist on pizza! My favorite part of making pizza is putting on the toppings, and my least favorite part is making the crust. So I came up with a way to make the easiest pizza crust ever. Just mash down tater tots in a skillet. Is it fun to make? Yes! Is it fun to eat? Oh yeah! Now, I can hear some of you saying, “But it’s not pizza!” Well, it’s not ‘pizza pizza’ – it’s just a really fun twist on pizza.
I have had traditional pizza a thousand times but I can’t remember having as much fun making pizza as I did with this tater tot pizza. This would be so much fun to make with little kids. You can customize your pizza any way you’d like to. Add meat, or make it completely vegetarian; it’s completely up to you. It all comes together quickly and easily and you just have to wipe down the skillet when you’re done.
The only drawback to the tater tot pizza is that you have to let it rest like a pie for a few minutes so that the crust can solidify enough so you can hold a slice like a regular piece of pizza. You can also use this trick to make a sweet potato quiche. Also, check out our alternative easy pizza crust if a more traditional pizza crust is your thing. But seriously, try the tater tot pizza. It’s so much fun to make! Don’t believe me? Check out the video and images below:
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
TATER TOT PIZZA
- 1 bag of tater tots, frozen
- 1 jar pizza sauce (or your favorite homemade recipe)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Mini pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- In a cast iron skillet, arrange the tater tots in circles, filling the skillet completely.
- Bake the tater tots for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, and reduce the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Using a wooden spoon, mash the baked tater tots down until they form a solid crust.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the tater tot crust. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the bell pepper, crumbled sausage, and mini pepperoni.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the tater tot crust is golden.
Enjoy your tater tot pizza as you would any other delicious homemade pizza! The only different is the crust— and what a delicious difference it is.
Of course, you can also top this pizza with any of YOUR favorite toppings. Let the tater tot crust inspire you and allow you to be creative! What do you think would work with it? Maybe some diced, cooked bacon and scallions? Or a white-pizza style, topped with sour cream after it comes out of the oven? How would you make this pizza your own?
Do you think you’ll give tater tot pizza a try? Have you ever had it before, or was this idea totally new to you? What other unusual things have you used to make pizzas and pizza crusts before?