Mississippi Mud Cake
When is a chocolate cake much, much more than “just” a chocolate cake? When it’s rich, buttery, and flavorful, packed not only with great chocolate flavor but topped with marshmallows and the most decadent chocolate frosting. That’s right, friends— we’re making Mississippi Mud Cake!
If you’ve made it through life so far without trying this simple and simply delicious take on chocolate cake, or if you live in a part of the country where it’s not a tradition, goodness, are you missing out! The recipe couldn’t be easier, especially since you have the option of using a boxed cake mix for convenience or your own classic chocolate cake recipe for true homemade taste. All that matters is that you top it with those marshmallows and pecans, and be sure to add the incredible drizzle of chocolate frosting. The combo just couldn’t be better. Take a look to see what we mean, then read on for the full recipe to give it a try!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Mississippi Mud Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (or your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 – 10.5-ounce bag miniature marshmallows
- ⅔ cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius), or to the temperature required by your homemade chocolate cake recipe. Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the chocolate cake mix with the eggs, water and vegetable oil. Mix until well-combined. If using your own recipe, prepare the cake batter according to its instructions.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, and bake for 30 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If using your own recipe, bake the cake according to its instructions.
- Remove the baked cake from the oven and sprinkle the miniature marshmallows over the cake, completely covering it.
- Return the cake to the 350-degree-Fahrenheit (175-degree-Celsius) oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the marshmallows are slightly puffed and melted.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- While the marshmallows melt and the cake cools, begin to prepare the frosting by melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the milk and cocoa powder to the melted butter, and whisk well.
- Add the powdered sugar to the butter mixture, and whisk well.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, and cook for about 2 to 3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened slightly. Remove the chocolate frosting from the heat.
- Drizzle the frosting over the completely-cooled cake.TipHero
- Top the frosting with the toasted, chopped pecans.TipHero
- Allow the frosting to set before cutting into and serving the cake. Store at room temperature.
How absolutely, fabulously delicious does this Mississippi Mud Cake look?! The combination of the chocolate and marshmallow is just to-die-for – and reminds us of s’mores, which is always a good thing! – and those toasted, crunchy pecans just take it right over the top. This dessert really is as sweet as a Southern summer day— or winter day, for that matter!
Now you tell us— what do you think of this version of a Mississippi Mud Cake? Have you ever made it before? Is the recipe brand new to you, or is this treat one of your family’s traditions? Will you make your chocolate cake from scratch, or is a boxed version good enough for you? Let us know if you give it a try and how be sure to tell us how it turns out for you!
Recipe adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch