Easy Egg Baked Sweet Potatoes
With the smallest bit of planning you can have a filling breakfast that cooks itself while you dry your hair, pack the kids’ lunch, or just wait on your coffee to cool. All you have to do to make this come together in 30 minutes is make baked potatoes the night before and save a couple. This works with either classic Idaho style Russets or sweet potatoes. Heck you could even use a baked yam. Or you can try it with avocados like we did here.
Play around with the fillings as much as you’d like. The favorite in our house is a green bell pepper filled sweet potato topped with avocado and hot sauce. If you’re in more of a traditional mood you can fill yours with bacon and cheese. Whatever you do make sure you save the potato that you scoop out. You can use the leftover potatoes for all kinds of recipes, from waffles to muffins to pancakes.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large eggs
topping options (for two potatoes):
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper + half an avocado sliced thin + hot sauce to taste
2 TBSP shredded cheddar cheese + 2 strips cooked bacon + ¼ cup thin sliced green onions or chives
2 TBSP pasta/pizza sauce + 2 TBSP shredded mozzarella + ¼ cup chopped pepperoni
1 oz. smoked salmon + 2 TBSP sour cream + 2 TBSP diced red onion
*This recipe gives you instructions on how to cook this in the oven at home but it’s a great camping recipe! Just make sure the potatoes stay right side up so the egg does not pour out and be sure to wrap them in a sturdy tin foil before placing in or on the fire. Check after about 10 minutes of near direct heat. Cook until the egg whites are bright white and set firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Lay the potatoes on a cutting board and cut off a ¼ of the potato, lengthwise. Turn the potato so that the cut portion is facing up. Using a spoon scrape out the majority of the potato, in essence creating a bowl made of potato. Save the leftover potatoes for use in any of these recipes.
- Rub the inside of the potato cavern with some of the olive oil. Crack an egg into each oiled potato. Garnish with any toppings that you want cooked (i.e. sauces, cheeses, veggies.) Save toppings like sour cream and avocado for later.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked but the yolks are still soft.
- Garnish with the remaining toppings and enjoy!