Sometimes, to get our kids – or even ourselves! – to eat some vegetables, we’ve got to sneak them into other recipes. One of the most delicious places for them to hide? In desserts! Today, that sneaky veggie is zucchini, and it’s hiding in a dark chocolate chip cookie. Plus, there’s also some oats and nuts in there for extra nutritional power. Watch how easy they are to make.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
ZUCCHINI-OAT DARK CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Makes 48 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 large egg
– 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups (1 medium) zucchini, shredded
– 1 cup quick oats
– 1 cup pecans, roasted and chopped
– One 10-ounce package dark chocolate chips
– Sea salt, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In a large bowl or in a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well-combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat well.
- Add the zucchini and mix.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until just-combined.
- Stir in the oats, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until the tops and edges have begun to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, if desired.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
These look so good, don’t you think? Have you ever made cookies with zucchini before? What are some other ways you like to sneak some healthier ingredients into your children’s diets?
Slightly adapted from Very Best Baking