Are you ready for some of the easiest, tastiest BBQ chicken you’ve ever tasted? Of course you are! We can’t let summer pass without trying some twists on our favorite seasonal standards, and this extra-zesty version is just the simple variation we’ve been hoping to find. Even better, it uses that old kitchen friend – the slow cooker! – to make cooking it as efficient as possible. Set it, go enjoy those warm temps and sunny days before they fade away, and come home to a delicious meal. Watch, learn, and enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
ZESTY BBQ SLOW COOKER CHICKEN
Serves 6 to 8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
- 5 pounds chicken leg quarters
- 1 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onion, minced
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion. Stir until well mixed.
- Remove the skin and excess fat from the chicken leg quarters.
- Place half of the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl. Pour half of the mixed BBQ sauce over the top. Add the remaining chicken legs and cover completely with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours, or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a sauce pan, bring to a slow boil, and cook until reduced by ⅔.
- While the sauce is reducing, use two forks to pull the chicken meat off the bones. Place in a large bowl.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add it to the pulled chicken and toss until the meat is well coated.
- Serve as is, or on your favorite bun or roll.
Delicious and so easy! I’ll definitely be adding this one to our regular dinner repertoire. What about YOU? Do you think you’ll give this Zesty BBQ Chicken a try? Do you make barbecue chicken in the slow cooker regularly? Then you’ve got to try our finger-lickin’ slow cooker baby back ribs recipe!