‘Tis the season to entertain. If you’re anything like my family you may be starting to get a little “sugarplum-ed out”. What about visions of holiday hams and spicy cheese pinwheels dancing in your head when you’ve had one sweet too many. If you’re feeding a crowd you’re definitely going to want to give this recipe a whirl, maybe even twice! The rolls are so soft, buttery, and flakey. They give a wonderful lightness to what would be an otherwise heavy snack. If you want to really go the full distance save some of the bacon grease and brush it on the tops of the pinwheels before baking. This will enhance the bacon flavor, keep the bread moist, and help it to brown nicely.
5 strips of thick bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
4 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 teaspoon hot sauce, your favorite brand
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 scallion, sliced very thinly
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Unroll the crescents in one large piece on a tinfoil lined sheet tray.
- In a small bowl combine the bacon, cream cheese, and hot sauce until fully mixed. Spread over the unrolled bread dough.
- Sprinkle 1 1/4 cups of the cheddar and the scallions over the cream cheese topped dough.
- Carefully and tightly roll the dough back up. Using a serrated knife slice into twelve even sized pieces.
- Place the pinwheels on the baking tray and top with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.