Oh no! Someone let these snowmen inside and now they’re melting, and fast. All the more reason to gobble these up quick before they are all gone. These adorable little truffles whip up in a flash and they have a tendency to disappear just as quickly, and not from melting. This recipe has been floating around for years, originally created by a large food company it’s graced the cover of women’s magazines and been “pinned” numerous times. I made a couple of changes however to lighten them up. The original recipe calls for “white baking pieces” but these aren’t always easy to track down. If you have them and want to use them by all means do so. If you don’t feel free to use white chocolate melted in the microwave, like I have done. By replacing the traditional cream cheese with Neuchaftel, which is nearly identical to cream cheese but has 1/3 less fat and is somehow creamier! You won’t be using the filling of your sandwich cookies but I still like to use peppermint creme filled sandwich cookies. The chocolate cookies themselves retain a hint of the peppermint which gives them an unmistakably festive flair.
36 oreo cookies, chocolate cookie part only
8 oz Neuchaftel cheese, softened
2 cups while chocolate
1 tablespoon coconut oil
orange frosting for decoration
melted chocolate, for eyes and mouths
mini oreos or chocolate candies, optional for hats
- Grind the cookies into crumbs using a food processor.
- Add the Neuchaftel cheese to the food processor and pulse until both are fully combined.
- Scoop this mixture into heaping tablespoons and roll into balls. Chill these balls in the freezer for at least 15 minutes, but do not let them become fully frozen.
- While these chill combine the white chocolate and coconut oil and melt your chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip the chilled truffles in the melted white chocolate. You may need to coat them twice. Place them on a sheet of parchment paper. While the chocolate is still melted attach the “hats” if using. Using a toothpick dipped in some melted chocolate draw on the eyes and comical sad faces. Pipe on the noses and all everything to set up, at least 10 minutes.