When you want to make a treat that’s really on another delicious level, there’s one ingredient you can always count on: Nutella®! Everybody’s favorite hazelnut-chocolate spread has long been making desserts extra special, so today, we’re seeing what it can do for another meal. That’s right— Nutella®’s coming to breakfast!
As if that news isn’t already exciting enough, just wait until you hear how we’re introducing the spread to our brunch table: stuffed inside pancakes! That’s right, instead of having to merely content yourself with dribbling Nutella® on top of your favorite breakfast dishes or using it as an occasional dip, we’re making sure you get a bit of the good stuff in every single pancake bite.
Now, some of you might have tried making some stuffed pancakes before, and had trouble combining the soft spread with the batter. Luckily for all of us, we’ve looked around and found the perfect solution for getting that Nutella® to stay inside the pancakes where it belongs, and it involves . . . the freezer? Yup! Watch to see what we mean, then keep reading for the full recipe so you can try them yourself!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Serves 7 to 8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 10 to 14 tablespoons Nutella®
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spoon 1-½ tablespoons of Nutella® onto the prepared pan. Spread it out into a round disc about 2-½ inches in diameter.TipHero
- Repeat, making 7 to 8 Nutella® discs. Place the pan in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the Nutella® discs are firm and hold their shape.TipHero
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, vanilla extract and milk.TipHero
- Mix the pancake batter until fully blended.TipHero
- Spray the preheated griddle with pan spray, and wipe away excess.
- Pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter on the prepared griddle. Place 1 frozen Nutella® disc into the center of the batter.TipHero
- Top the Nutella® disc with enough batter to cover completely. When the batter begins to bubble the pancake is ready to be flipped.TipHero
- Flip and cook the pancake for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown.
- Keep the completed pancakes warm while preparing the remaining pancakes. Serve warm.
How great do these pancakes look?! We just love cutting into them to reveal those delectable discs of Nutella® inside. It’d be a fun way to add a sweet surprise to a breakfast for your family. Just imagine their faces when they bite into these pancakes and discover that awesome chocolate hazelnut spread oozing out!
So what do you think of our Nutella®-stuffed pancakes? Have you ever tried making them before? Did you use this technique, or did you figure out a different way to get that Nutella® in there? What other delicious ingredients would you like to stuff inside your pancakes?
Be sure to let us know if you give this recipe a try, and come back to let us know how they turn out for you!
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tin Eats