I’m not the best with portion control so when I want cake I usually reach for a mug to make an individual sized portion. This chocolate cake with an extra pop of chocolatey goodness from Nutella. Check out the video below to see how easy these are to make:
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit
⅛ tsp. salt
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp hazelnut chocolate spread
1. Spray a large flat-bottomed coffee mug with non-stick spray and set aside. The mug needs to be big enough that the batter doesn’t fill more than ½ the mug as it will rise to the top of the mug while cooking. Mine can hold 14 oz.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined. Add the milk and vegetable oil to the bowl and whisk just until the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients—a few tiny lumps are okay.
3. Pour the batter into the coffee mug. Add a tablespoon dollop of hazelnut chocolate spread to the middle of the mug. No need to press it down, it will sink into the cake on it’s own.
4. Cook in the microwave for 75 seconds. I used a 1000 watt microwave, so cooking time can vary depending on the wattage of your microwave and you might need to adjust the cooking time up or down by a few seconds. I also recommend putting a paper towel under the mug before cooking just in case your mug is too small and the cake starts overflowing.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you like, then dig in to your very own cake!