Have you ever had spoonbread before? This Southern, cornmeal-based classic has a consistency closer to a savory pudding, but it’s just as warm, satisfying and – most importantly – delicious as regular cornbread. Plus, the version we’re trying today is full of cheese and spicy jalapeños for a kick we can’t resist. Check it out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
JALAPEÑO CORN SPOONBREAD
– 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix
– 14.75-ounce can cream corn
– 6 ounces frozen corn (no need to thaw)
– 4 tablespoons butter, melted
– 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
– 3 eggs, beaten
– ¼ cup pickled jalapeños, chopped (or 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, if preferred)
– ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, etc.), optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius). Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the muffin mix, frozen corn, cream corn, butter, sour cream and eggs together. Stir in the pickled jalapeños.
- Pour the batter into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until browned and the cornbread starts to pull away from the edges of the skillet.
Yum! That’s my kind of cornbread! What do you think? Have you ever made a spoonbread before?