Sometimes, we want a breakfast that feels really special and tastes REALLY delicious. Unfortunately, that desire is often thwarted by our early morning, pre-coffee state. We don’t give up though— we turn to this tried-and-true Italian classic! These baked eggs are so easy to make but taste as though you woke up hours early to perfect them. Serve them up at your next brunch to impress your friends, or simply save them for yourself on those mornings when you deserve something special. And isn’t that every day? We think so! Watch and learn how to make Italian Baked Eggs, and treat yourself!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Italian Baked Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- Handful fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- In a small skillet over medium heat, sauté the pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, then add the salt and pepper, if needed or desired.
- Divide the sauce evenly among four large ramekins.
- Crack an egg on top of the sauce in each ramekin. Sprinkle lightly with the mozzarella.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Garnish with the basil and enjoy!
Simple, lovely, and delicious! Have you ever tried making baked eggs like these before? What other variations do you enjoy? How do you make your mornings a little extra special?