We love the convenience of dishwashing tablets, but after using them for a while, it started to feel like we weren’t really getting enough bang for our buck. Those little guys are pretty expensive, after all! Luckily, right as we were about to switch back to our old detergents, we found this video from The Coupon Prepper! She shows us a brilliant way to make our own dishwashing tablets that will not only scrub our dishes but leave our dishwasher sparkling like new. Check it out!
What She Uses In The Video
–1/2 cup Borax
–1/2 cup washing soda
–1/2 cup Epsom salts
–1 tablespoon citric acid
–1 tablespoon baking soda
–2 tablespoons vinegar
–2 teaspoons citrus essential oil
What She Does In The Video
You might want to wear gloves during this process, especially if you have cuts on your hands or a fresh manicure.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, until all lumps are removed.
- Add the essential oil and mix until the color is even throughout.
- Slowly add in the vinegar, a little at a time. You want just enough so that when you squeeze the mixture together, it keeps its shape.
- Press the mixture into a silicone mold or ice cube trays. Make sure to pack the mixture in firmly!
- Allow the cubes to set for 12 to 24 hours and fully harden before removing from the mold.
One cube is perfect for one full load! Get a printable version of this recipe here. What do you think? Have you ever made your own dishwashing tablets before?