When it comes to party-ready cheeses, mozzarella is king. The gooey favorite is a perfect addition to just about any dish, and absolutely delicious all on its own, making things like mozzarella sticks a perennial favorite no matter how old you are. This latest idea is all grown-up: shooters! Deep-fried, marinara-filled shooters, that is, and they’re actually really easy to make at home. Check it out!
MOZZARELLA MARINARA SHOTS
–1 block mozzarella
–Oil, for deep-frying
- Use your knife to create guidelines in your cheese block to divide it into six even bricks. Do NOT cut all the way through just yet.
- In the center of each brick, create slight indentations with your knife. Hollow out the middle of each brick, creating wells, and making sure not to cut too cut all the way through the bottom.
- Cut the mozzarella bricks into their individual pieces, using the guidelines created in step 1, and separate.
- Take each piece and dip it into your egg wash, then the flour, and finally the bread crumbs. Repeat this process multiple times for each brick.
- Chill the mozzarella bricks in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Fill a pot with deep-frying oil and fry each brick until golden brown.
- Place the fried mozzarella bricks on a plate and fill with marinara sauce.
What a great appetizer! What do you think of these mozzarella shooters? Have you ever had anything like them before?