If you’ve ever gone on a family road trip or driven any extended amount of time on a highway then you’ve probably stopped at a Cracker Barrel. It’s hard to miss these shop/restaurants with their iconic rocking chairs out front and general store/lobby. They almost feel like relics tying us back to a simpler time. Why not whip up some of that homey warmth with this copycat casserole inspired by their hash brown breakfast casserole. Don’t let the breakfast fool you, this is delicious as a side for dinner too. In fact I recently served this up with bratwurst for my boyfriend’s birthday poker night and the guys devoured the entire thing in one night. You’ll most likely have leftovers though and you’re lucky, the flavors really develop and intensify the second day.
1 32 oz package of frozen hash browns, thawed
10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
16 oz container sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
green onions, optional, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a glass 9×13″ casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Put the hash browns in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl mix together the soup, butter, onion, Worcestershire, sour cream, and salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture into the hash browns and stir well until everything is mixed. Spread this mixture into the glass baking dish.
- Top with the shredded cheese and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown and the hash browns bubble on the sides.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes. Top with green onions and serve.