Cookies n’ cream is one of my favorite flavors and these cupcakes take it a step further. Not only is it cookie flavored cake, but there are even secret oreos baked into the cupcakes! If you have an oreo lover in your life, then you must make them this recipe. You’ll need to buy a second package of oreos if you want to decorate these with the cookies on top, but that’s okay ’cause oreos don’t often go to waste. The large mound of cookies n’ cream frosting seems to be bursting out beneath the cookie top, suggesting an explosion of filling.
Inspired by Instructables.
Cookies ‘N Cream Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1 box chocolate cake mix prepared, or your favorite cake batter prepared
3/4 package oreo cookies
For the frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 package oreos, crushed
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
more oreos to decorate, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Place 1 oreo in each muffin tin. Take the remaining oreos and divide them in half. Crush the oreos into crumbs and place one of the remaining halves into the cake batter. Stir to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the batter over the oreos up to the top of the muffin liner. Repeat with all of the cups.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a tooth pick stuck into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make the frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and cream cheese. Add in the remaining oreo crumbs and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Continue to beat to combine, adding an additional cup of powdered sugar once it has blended, until it has all been incorporated.
- Decorate by piping a large glob of frosting on top of the cake and topping with a single cookie from the oreo sandwiches.