Pancakes are a treat anytime you make them but you can make them even more appetizing and special by busting out your favorite holiday cookie cutters! If you can make pancakes you can make this festive breakfast. While these are straightforward and easy to make there are a few tricks you will have to follow to prevent the pancakes from either oozing out of the cutters or refusing to leave them. Make sure your pancake batter is nice and thick. If you tend to make a thin batter, the kind that would pour in a smooth stream add a couple of tablespoons of all-purpose flour to your batter until it resembles something closer to cake batter. It should be thick but pourable. Once your batter is to your liking make sure you have some non stick spray on hand. This trick just does not work without it. You will also want to spray your cookie cutters again before you refill them with more batter. Make sure your pan is on medium high heat and has had a chance to get hot before you add your batter. If you follow these three easy steps you’re guaranteed pancake success!
If you are making your own pancakes from scratch you will need:
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside to “sour” for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together the egg, butter, and milk mixture. Put the milk mix into the flour and stir just until there are no more clumps of dry flour.
Even if you are using box mix you will need cooking spray. Gather your favorite cookie cutters and a large non stick skillet.
- Heat the non stick skillet on medium high heat. Spray the cookie cutters with the non stick spray as well as the skillet. Place the cutters on the pan.
- Slowly add in a thin layer (1/4″ thick or so) of pancake batter to the cutters and lower the temperature to medium heat. Once you see the outsides of the pancakes is set you gently lift off the cutter.
- Flip the pancakes and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, taking care to spay the cookie cutters each time you use them and wiping off any dough that may end up stuck.