What’s the ultimate dish to fill you up AND warm you up during these last few weeks of winter? Chowder, of course! What’s more, we’re making this thick and creamy soup just a little bit healthier by adding our favorite vegetable to the mix: cauliflower! Just look at how good this dish looks, and make it part of your winter dinner rotation.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
– 8 slices bacon, diced
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 carrots, peeled and diced
– 2 stalks celery, diced
– ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup whole milk
– 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
– 1 bay leaf
– 1-¼ teaspoons kosher salt
– ¾ teaspoon black pepper
– Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, and cook until brown and all the fat has been rendered off. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the butter to the stockpot and melt. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and bay leaf, and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour and cook until browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Cook, stirring until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add ¾ of the cooked bacon and stir to combine. Adjust the thickness by adding more milk, if desired. Season to taste.
- Serve garnished with the remaining bacon and parsley.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious