What do you get when you cross a muffin with a breakfast taco? One of the easiest and best breakfast ideas yet: the tortilla cup! This delightful way to start your day takes the idea of an egg muffin and adds some southwestern style, with peppers, onions, sour cream and cheese for everything you know and love. When it’s baked inside a tortilla, it’s absolutely perfect.
For us, this is edible perfection; breakfast is not only the most important meal of the day, but it’s also one of the most delicious meals of the day. At least it is when you do it right with brilliant AM recipes like this!
The idea comes to us from Little Things in Rumble, and the brilliant recipe is demonstrated in the video below!
This is such an easy way to shake up breakfast! All of the ingredients are easy to find and cheap to pick up at the grocery store – you might even have some of these ingredients sitting in the fridge already.
And because these only take a few minutes to make but come out looking extremely impressive, they’re perfect to serve to company! Whether you’re hosting brunch, bringing a finger food for a morning potluck, or just cooking for your family who decided to stay the weekend, this is a quick, delicious treat that presents beautifully.
It’ll look like you slaved away to make these breakfast tacos, when in reality, they were a breeze to whip up! (But the ladies who brunch don’t need to know that, do they?)
Breakfast Tortilla Cups
- 12 flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Bell peppers, diced
- Onions, diced
- Cut 3.5 inch circles from your flour tortillas. We suggest using a bowl or cookie cutter for this task. Peel the excess tortilla and discard.
- Grease a muffin tin. In each spot, push down a cut-out tortilla, making sure it’s flat against the sides and bottom of the muffin tin.
- In a bowl, combine your eggs and sour cream. Whisk to mix.
- Add your cheese, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Whisk.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into each tortilla cup. Top off with your diced peppers, bell peppers, and onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, cover the muffins with shredded cheese while they’re still warm, so the cheese melts on top. Enjoy!
What an easy-but-innovative idea! It’s a great way to whip up a breakfast with Tex-Mex flair for a big group. Let’s face it, regular breakfast gets put to shame by this deliciously creative idea. Why have a muffin or scrambled eggs for breakfast when you could have this ultimate morning-time mashup.
If you’d love to give it a try and need a full, printable recipe, grab your copy from the Little Things site.
What do you think of these tortilla cups? Can you think of any ways to spice them up? We’re thinking we’d love to throw some tomatoes or salsa in there! Tell us your ideas in the comments!