Heading off to the grocery store to stock up your kitchen for the week? Make sure you grab a bunch of bananas while you’re there. Why, you ask? Read on to discover why bananas are the secret super fruits of the produce world.
They Boost Your Mood
- When you’re feeling down, pick up a banana! Bananas help depression due to high levels of tryptophan. This is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter that instantly perks you up.
2. Quitting smoking? With high levels of B-vitamins, potassium and magnesium, bananas speed up recovery from the effects of withdrawal.
3. Eat two bananas on your way to the gym to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar while you work out.
They Keep You Healthy
4. The high levels of vitamin B-6 in bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells.
5. Because they’re high in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
6. Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
7. Like dark chocolate, bananas are high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
They Generally Rock
8. Bananas help protect against muscle cramps during workouts and prevent nighttime leg cramps.
9. Skip the Tums, try eating a bananas as a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
10. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
11. Studying up for a big exam? Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert! Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
12. If you’re expecting, eating a banana between meals will not only help stabilize your blood sugar and reduce that nasty nausea from morning sickness.
13. After camping, rub a bananas peels on a bug bite or hives to relieve itching and irritation.
14. High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
15. Bananas are the perfect way to beat the heat. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.
So the next time you’re feeling blue or just need a quick pick-me-up, try a banana as a quick snack to solve all your ailments!