Got the midnight munchies? Get your banana bread fix in just five minutes with this incredibly easy and moist microwaveable banana bread recipe — that’s made in a mug!
- This recipe boasts built-in portion control. (Thank us later.)
- Your banana bread levels are low, and you need to get banana bread in your mouth in the next five minutes.
- There’s that one last ripe banana in the fruit bowl that you need to eat before leaving for vacation.
- Pretend to get out of bed to go to the bathroom — but secretly slip into the kitchen, make two mugs of banana bread, and surprise your sweetheart with a delicious, no-mess breakfast in bed.
- You belong to a family of banana-phobes. (More banana bread for you, we say — but while you may need banana bread, you may not need an entire loaf of banana bread sitting on the counter calling out to you like, “Eat me!”)
- Solo sweet tooth? We know how frustratingly few single-serving recipes for baked goodies there are out there.
- No oven? No problem!
- You love our Nutella mug cake and eggless chocolate mug cake — and you just need more microwave mug cake recipes in your life.
But knowing that you can dig into homemade banana bread in five minutes with just a microwave and a mug, you don’t really need convincing, do you?
Banana Bread in a Mug
Makes 1 Serving
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil or other oil
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Whipped cream
- 1 Tablespoon toasted and chopped pecans
- Banana slices
- Powdered sugar
- In a large, microwave-safe coffee mug, mash your ripe banana. Add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, oil, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon (if using). Mix to combine.
- “Bake” it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. (You can stop and check for doneness at the 90-second or 2-minute mark.)
- The banana bread will be very hot, so allow it to cool for a few minutes before eating it.
- Top with whipped cream, pecans, and sliced banana, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Pass the Sushi.