Wake Up and Smell the Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
One of my favorite childhood memories is the rare occasion when my mom would let me have cake for breakfast. Usually, it was a piece of leftover pound cake from a birthday celebration, rich and buttery and somehow perfect both for dessert and for breakfast. This Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake from Alexandra’s Kitchen reminds me of those times, with the added bonus of antioxidant-rich blueberries and a lighter taste perfect to start the day.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
– 2 teaspoons lemon zest
– 7/8 cup sugar (for the batter) + 1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling on top)
– 1 egg, room temperature
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup to toss with the blueberries)
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 2 cups fresh blueberries
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
Note: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can always make some at home! Just place 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Use only 1/2 cup of the prepared mixture for the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter with the lemon zest and 7/8 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour, and fold into the batter.
- Spread the batter into the pan and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. You may have to bake it for as much as 10 minutes longer. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
What do you think of this recipe? Have you ever had cake for breakfast? What are some of your other favorite ways to start the day?