Want to add a little tropical flavor and fun to your breakfasts? It’s easier than you might think, and it’s taking inspiration from an island-flavor dessert: pineapple upside-down cake! That’s right, we’re making Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes, and this easy, adaptable recipe is sure to delight anybody looking to start their day with something a little more special. Check it out and give these pancakes a try!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN PANCAKES
Serves 5 to 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
– ½ cup butter, divided (¼ cup melted)
– ½ cup brown sugar
– 1 – 20-ounce can pineapple slices
– 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons baking powder
– 2 tablespoons baking soda
– ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
– 2-½ cups whole milk
– ½ cup granulated sugar
– ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– Maraschino cherries
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt ¼ cup butter and the brown sugar. Add the pineapple rings and cook until caramelized.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a small bowl, combine and mix the milk, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just-combined and no lumps remain. Add the other ¼ cup melted butter and mix well.
- Lightly grease the preheated griddle and wipe away any excess oil. Using a ⅓-cup measuring cup, portion out pancake batter onto the hot griddle. Place a pineapple ring in the center of the batter, press down gently, and add a Maraschino cherry to the center of each ring.
- Allow the pancakes to cook until bubbles form along the top of the batter. Flip and cook the other side until pancakes are golden brown and cooked inside.
- Serve pineapple side-up and drizzle with the remaining brown-sugar glaze.
Fun and delicious! Of course, this method also works with whatever pancake recipe, mix or batter you want. Just fry them up with the pineapple rings and cherries, and enjoy! What do you think? Have you ever had pineapple upside down pancakes before?
Keep the pineapple upside-down ball rolling all day! Take your pick: we’ve got foolproof recipes for a pineapple upside-down bundt cake, mini pineapple upside-down cakes made in a muffin tin, pineapple upside-down fudge, a boozy pineapple upside-down cake shot, and of course, the classic pineapple upside-down cake.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Guide