How to Make the Ultimate Peeps Cake
Spring time and Easter is just around the corner which means…Easter candy is on it’s way! Most importantly, Peeps. Peeps marshmallows are delicious on their own but can also be used to make a medley of yummy Easter treats, the most epic of these being this unreal Peeps cake. Watch the video below and prepare to be totally craving this delicious, Peeps-filled (and Peeps-shaped) cake. Can spring just come already?
ULTIMATE PEEPS CAKE
• 2 batches of desired cake batter
• Yellow marshmallow buttercream
• Yellow sanding sugar
• 2 brown Smarties (or other round brown candies)
2. Place rectangle cake onto a cake board or plate. Place the round cake on top of the rectangle cake at one end of the rectangle cake. Line a serated knife up to the edge of the round cake, and proceed to cut of the corner of the rectangle cake. Repeat this for the other 3 corners. Set these pieces aside as you will need them later.
3. Hollowing out the cakes- With the round cake still on top of the rectangle cake, place toothpicks to mark the location of the round cake. Remove round cake and set aside. Using a sharp knife placed about an inch inside of the location lines of the round cake, start cutting and removing cake, until you have a deep enough hollow for the peeps to fit. To hollow out the round cake, turn it so the widest part is facing upwards. Level the cake so the top is flat, and then using a sharp knife placed about an inch inside of the edge of the cake, start cutting and removing cake chunks. You want to remove enough that there is a decent sized hollow, but not too much that your cake becomes fragile and breaks when you go to move it.
4. Fill the hollowed out portions with peeps!
5. Place a thin layer of buttercream around the outside of hole (now holding the Peeps) of the rectangle cake.
6. To place the round cake back on top of the rectangle cake without the Peeps falling out, I found it was best to cover the top with a cake lifter and then flip the round cake upside down, place on top of the rectangle where it should be and gently remove the cake lifter.
7. Taking one of the triangular pieces that were cut off earlier, line it up for the beak of the Peep and secure into place with toothpicks. Using 2 triangular pieces, line them up for the tail of the Peep and secure with toothpicks.
8. Cover entire cake in a thin crumb coat with the yellow marshmallow buttercream. Set into the freezer for 20 minutes to set the coat.
9. Remove from freezer and apply a final layer of buttercream.
10. Cover the cake in yellow sanding sugar.
11. Attach the brown smarties (eyes) with a little dab of buttercream.
Do you have any Peeps recipes? Share them in the comments section below.