Lasagna is one of our favorite comfort foods in the world – but the term “comfort food” is essentially code for, “it’s not good for you in the slightest.” It’s sad, but true. Laden with thick ricotta cheese and carb-heavy noodles, lasagna packs one caloric punch. So if we’re gluten-free or just trying to watch our diets, do we have to give up lasagna forever? Thankfully, no! Not thanks to this healthy spin on your classic lasagna dish. Watch the video below to see how you can make this lightened up lasagna yourself!
Kevin Curry, owner of the blog Fit Men Cook, shows us how to make this comfort food with all the comfort flavor and a lot less of the fat and carbs.
The secret weapon to his lighter lasagna? Sweet potatoes! Is there anything a sweet potato can’t do?
The trick is using a mandolin to slice your sweet potatoes to the desired thickness – they should be about as thick as a nickle for the best baking results. If you don’t have a mandolin at home, you can use a very sharp knife to get your thin cuts. No matter which slicing tool you’re using, make sure to be very careful, especially around kids
What do you think of this health-ified version of lasagna? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
SWEET POTATO LASAGNA
– 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
– 2 sweet potatoes
– 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
– 1 egg white
– Italian seasoning
– Salt and pepper
– Olive oil
– 1 clove garlic
– 2 cups marinara sauce
– 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
2. In a separate skillet, combine your marinara sauce with your basil, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Pour the meat into the marinara mixture and combine. Let that cook for about 6 minutes together.
4. Slice your sweet potatoes to the thickness of a nickle.
5. In a separate bowl, combine your ricotta cheese with one egg white. Mix to combine.
6. In a bake-friendly dish, layer like so: sweet potato, meat mixture, cheese mixture. Repeat twice. Cover with mozzarella before baking.
7. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 F. for at least 50 minutes. For the last 5 minutes, bake without the foil on. Cool 5 minutes before serving.