Nothing takes a burger, pizza or barbecue to the next level faster than perfectly-cooked caramelized onions. In fact, we’d argue that just about anything you can think of is better with some golden-brown onions on top. Just one problem— they’re surprisingly tricky to make. Luckily for all of us, the best way to make them is also one of the easiest: in the slow cooker! Just watch how everybody’s favorite kitchen appliance cooks up some absolutely delicious onions.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
SLOW COOKER CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Yield: 3 to 4 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 to 10 hours
– 4 pounds yellow onions, sliced
– ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pats
– Kosher salt, to taste
– Pepper, to taste
- Place the sliced onions into the bowl of a slow cooker, and place the butter pats on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions are tender, season with salt and pepper. Recover, leaving the lid slightly open, and cook for an additional 2 hours, until most of the juices have evaporated and the desired tenderness has been reached.
- Serve hot or cold. Store in an airtight container.
SO easy! We can’t wait to put these on our burgers this summer. What do you think? Do you know of any easier ways to make caramelized onions?
Recipe slightly adapted from 12 Tomatoes