How to Make a Shrimp Avocado Salad For Summer
When we’re trying to eat a little healthier during the work week, most of us do the exact same thing: grab a salad. It’s a really easy choice that keeps us away from the burgers and the pizza and the other tempting fast foods, but wow, it does get boring after a while, doesn’t it? We’ve already gone in search of alternatives to the leafy go-to, but we also wondered if there wasn’t a way to make the green leaves a little more special.
With the warm weather seasonal bounty beckoning, the answer turned out to be pretty obvious: seafood and summer produce! Not only does this salad feature grilled shrimp spiced to perfection with lime juice and chili powder, it’s packed with corn and other summer veggies for some extra flavor and healthy power in all of nature’s colors. When it’s topped with the incredible avocado dressing, this dish takes salad from a chore to eat to a treat. Check it out and give it a try!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
SHRIMP AVOCADO SALAD
Serves 4 to 6 Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 3 limes, juiced, divided
- 1 cup sweet corn
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, small dice
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, while the pan is heating, place the shrimp, ½ teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, ½ teaspoon of the chili powder, and juice from one of the limes (about 2 tablespoons). Toss gently.
- Add the shrimp to the pan in batches and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until cooked all the way through and pink. Set aside.
- Add the corn to the sauté pan. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of chili powder, and cook until charred. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the avocado, Greek yogurt, cilantro, garlic and juice from the remaining two limes (about 4 tablespoons). Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, onion, corn, and shrimp. Toss gently with the dressing and serve immediately.
Delicious, colorful, and pretty healthy— we just might have found the perfect summer salad. What do you think of it? Are there any other vegetables you’d like to see make an appearance alongside the shrimp? What about other kinds of seafood or sources of protein? Tell us how you make your salads a little more special and if you give this one a try!
Recipe adapted from Pinch Of Yum