Reimagining apple pie is like reimagining the wheel, right? You can shrink the size or play with the crust, but at the end of the day, apple pie is always going to be the same basic thing. That’s what we used to think, but then we saw this recipe from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food. She takes inspiration from not only a traditional apple pie, but another classic apple treat. See if you can guess what it is, then watch to see if you’re correct!
– 3 pounds (6 to 7) baking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
– 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for top
– 1 cup sugar
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
Pate Brisee Crust
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
– 1 large egg, beaten
– Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling, optional
– Vanilla ice cream, for serving
– Flaky sea salt, for serving, optional
Get the full printable recipe over on the Martha Stewart site. We love that this recipe is like caramel apples and apple pie put together! What do you think of it?