Portuguese Baked Eggs
Are you looking for a new recipe that works for brunch, dinner, and every meal in-between? Well then have we got the dish for you! These Portuguese-style baked eggs are hearty, savory, and oh-so-delicious, and you only use one dish to make them! Does it get any better?
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
PORTUGUESE BAKED EGGS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
– ¼ cup olive oil
– 3 bell peppers, any color, thinly-sliced
– 1 medium red onion, thinly-sliced
– One 15-ounce can tomatoes, diced
– 8 cloves garlic, thinly-sliced
– 1 jalapeño, with seeds, halved lengthwise
– ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
– 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
– 1-½ teaspoons chili powder
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
– 1 cup ricotta
– 6 eggs
– ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or sharp cheddar, if you prefer)
– ¼ cup Parmesan, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large oven-safe sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, until softened and browned.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, jalapeño, basil, oregano, chili powder and paprika.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft and the liquid is thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the jalapeño.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 evenly-spaced holes in the mixture. Spoon ricotta into the holes and flatten the ricotta. Crack an egg on top of each filled hole.
- Top with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the cheese has melted, the egg whites have set and the yolks are still runny.
- Serve immediately for soft eggs, as they will continue to cook in the pan. Enjoy with toast.
Breakfast-for-dinner, anyone? I know I’ll definitely be trying this one tonight. What about you? Are there any other variations on baked eggs you love to make?
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit