Perfect Summer Appetizer: Grilled Avocados with Blistered Tomato Salsa
How can one appetizer be so simple and also so satisfying? There may not be much to these Grilled Avocados with Blistered Tomato Salsa from Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet –
they’re really just avocados, tomatoes and spices – but wow, do they have a lot of flavor. Take a look at this easy recipe and see how long you can wait before you need to run out and make them.
– 1 clove garlic
– 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lime juice
– 3 avocados
– Fine sea salt
– Coarsely-ground black pepper
– 18 grape tomatoes
– 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
– 2 tablespoons coarsely-chopped cilantro leaves
– Sour cream
- Prepare your grill for direct grilling over a medium-hot fire.
- Crush the garlic clove into a medium bowl. Add the olive oil and lime juice, and whisk together.
- Halve and pit the avocados.
- Brush some of the olive oil mixture onto each avocado half without letting any puddle in the pit hole. Reserve the remaining liquid.
- Season the avocados liberally with salt and pepper.
- Skewer the grape tomatoes. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place the avocados on the grill, cut-side-down. Add the tomatoes alongside.
- Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning the tomatoes once. The avocados should be nicely marked and the skin on the tomatoes should be blistered. Once they are, remove everything from the grill.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters. Add them to the reserved olive oil mixture in the bowl.
- Add the chiles and cilantro to the bowl, and fold in. You now have Blistered Tomato Salsa!
- Spoon some of the salsa mixture into each avocado half and finish with a little salt.
- Garnish with dollops of sour cream. Serve warm.
This dish has everything I love. You, too? Let’s give it a try! Will you be adding this one to your grilling rotation?