Perfect Oven Steak
Yes, you read that correctly— oven steak! It might sound crazy to all of you grill aficionados, but hear us out. Whether it’s raining, you’re out of fuel, or you simply want to try something new, there are actually plenty of reasons to use your oven to cook that steak you’re craving. If you follow our method, it’s guaranteed to be cooked and seasoned to perfection. Plus, it’s really quick! Check it out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
PERFECT OVEN STEAK
Serves 1 to 2
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
– 1 pound steak, 1 to 1½-inch thick (T-bone, NY Strip, Ribeye, etc.)
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
– 2 teaspoons kosher salt
– Black pepper, to taste
- Let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Blot with paper towels to remove excess blood and moisture.
- Preheat the broiler. Adjust oven rack to 6-to-8 inches below the element. Place an ovenproof skillet or cast iron pan in the oven, and heat it for 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil both sides of the steak. Season each side with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and pepper to taste.
- Preheat a stove burner to high. Remove the heated skillet from the oven and place it on the stovetop burner. Place the steak in the middle of the hot skillet and sear for 30 seconds. Flip steak and sear the other side for 30 seconds.
- Place the skillet with the seared steak in the oven under the broiler and cook for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for an additional 2 minutes (for medium-rare) to 4 minutes (for medium).
- Remove the steak from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Loosely tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
That’s it! A simple, easy-to-follow method for perfectly-cooked steak— something every cook needs in her arsenal! What do you think of this method? Have you ever cooked steak in your oven before?
Recipe slightly adapted from The Kitchn