Pepperoni Pizza Mac N’ Cheese
Pepperoni pizza. Macaroni and cheese. These two foods seem very different at first but are a lot more alike than you might think. Gooey cheesy goodness topping some type of carb? Umm…yes please? Throw in some spicy meaty pepperoni and a little bright tomato sauce and you have a brand new hybrid. Move over cronut! This fantastic blend is easy as can be to make at home, and it’s quicker and tastier than ordering delivery pizza! If you’re feeding a crowd you can bake this all in one dish, but it also works well in oven safe coffee mugs. Since you are cooking the sauce on the stove top first you only need to put it in the oven long enough to melt the cheese on top.
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups reduced fat milk
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 (5 oz) package pepperoni, chopped
1 (16 oz) can pizza sauce
1 pound penne, rigatoni, or other hollow noodle type pasta cooked al dente
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium pot heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion and stir, cooking until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and stir constantly until a dough is formed. Cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking continuously. Cook, stirring constantly, until there are no lumps of flour and the sauce has begun to thicken.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, the oregano, and pepperoni. Stir until the cheese has completely melted. Add in the pizza sauce and the cooked pasta.
- Transfer the pasta to either a casserole dish or individual dishes (you can use oven safe coffee mugs to provide everyone with their own personal bowl.) Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Bake for approximately 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and has started to brown.
- Serve immediately.