When you need a healthy weeknight supper and you don’t want to dirty more than one pan, this recipe is for you. You can also score serious friend points with your gluten-free and vegetarian friends!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ a large jalapeno, minced (taste before adding all of the jalapeno, depending on how spicy you want the dish to be)
3/4 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (not drained)
1 cup corn kernels
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I used ¼ tsp kosher salt- taste first before adding more)
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.
2. Sauté the garlic and jalapeno until it starts to brown, about one minute.
3. Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, ¼ tsp salt to the skillet and stir to mix well.
4. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan with the lid.
5. Cook covered for 20 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through, but stir it halfway through cooking just to make sure the quinoa cooks evenly.
6. Before serving, sprinkle the chopped cilantro and diced avocado on top and then squeeze ½ of the lime in as well. Taste and add more lime juice, salt and pepper if needed.
Inspiration for this recipe came from Damn’d Delicious</a?