It’s spring, so even under ordinary circumstances, you may be in full spring cleaning mode. This year isn’t exactly ordinary though. With germs on everyone’s mind, and with everyone being stuck at home way more than usual, spring cleaning might be at the very top of your to-do list. Go for it! It might actually make you feel calmer and reduce anxiety.

If you’re having trouble finding your favorite cleaning products on store shelves, you may be tempted to mix a few items in your pantry. Tred cautiously. Some cleaning products should absolutely never be mixed together. Certain combos can cause health issues and even explosions. 

Here are 6 cleaning products you should never mix together (with one exception).

  1. Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol

    This combo creates Chloroform. Yes, the same stuff the bad guys use in the movies to make their victims unconscious.

  2. Bleach and Ammonia

    These two mixed together create chloramine, a toxic gas. Never mix glass or window cleaner with bleach since these products often contain ammonia.

  3. Bleach and Vinegar

    This combo creates chlorine gas which can cause you to cough, have trouble breathing and suffer from watery eyes that feel like they’re burning.

  4. Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar

    This combo creates peracetic acid, which is potentially toxic. It’s bad for your eyes, skin and respiratory system.

  5. Drain Cleaner and Drain Cleaner

    Never mix drain cleaners together, and never use one type of drain cleaner immediately followed by another type of drain cleaner. If one products doesn’t work, it’s safer to call a plumber than to try another brand. It’s possible to cause an explosion if competing products mix. They’re that powerful.

  6. Vinegar and Baking Soda

    While you should never mix these products together to create a cleaning product, it does make a fun science experiment if you have kids at home. This combo is perfect for a DIY volcano because it causes a really cool explosion.

One safe bet is to never mix bleach with anything except water, and always look at the warnings on the labels of any cleaning products you buy.