Mini Tres Leches Taco Boats
When you think of tacos, what comes to mind? If you’re conjuring up images of savory ingredients, then this recipe is going to open your mind to a world of possibilities where tacos are concerned. When it comes to these Old El Paso taco boats, all you have to do is dip them in cinnamon sugar to transform them from a savory to a sweet vessel. Then, with a combination of tres leches (3 milks), simple boxed cake mix, and a little bit of magic, you’ll end up with tacos like you’ve never experienced before. Check out the video below to watch how your new favorite dessert comes together.
MINI TRES LECHES TACO BOATS
Makes 12 Taco Boats
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
*Note: This recipe is for 12 Tres Leches Taco Boats, however there will be enough
cake batter to make 24.
- 1 5.1oz package of Old El Paso Mini Taco Boats
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tbsp granulated white sugar – divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream – divided
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 12 cherries
- ¼ cup pineapple tidbits – chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. / 175 degrees C. In a small bowl, combine the
cinnamon and 2 tbsp sugar. Brush the bottoms of each of the mini taco
boats with butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place
boats in a 9”x13” baking dish in 3 rows of 4 taco boats each. (Taco boats
should barely touch one another.)
- Prepare cake mix per instructions and pour approximately ¼ cup batter
into each taco boat (about ¾ of the way full.) Place in oven and bake for 20
minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from baking dish and cool on a cooling rack placed over a
sheet pan. While muffins are cooling, combine the sweetened condensed
milk, ⅓ cup heavy cream and the whole milk. Stir until well mixed.
- With a fork, prick the tops of the muffins all over and evenly spoon the
milk mixture over the tops of each. (It’s ok if some of the liquid spills over
the edges of the muffins.)
- In a mixing bowl combine the remaining heavy cream and 2 tbsp sugar.
Mix on high speed until stiff peaks form. Frost the muffins with the
whipped cream and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, the
chopped pineapple and a cherry.