Even though we keep adding more and more recipes to our cooking repertoire that call for onions, it seems like we never have one on hand when we need. Either we’ve simply run out, or the ones we do have in our kitchens have gone bad or lost their taste. The last time we found ourselves with this problem we had to wonder if there was a better way to store a greater quantity of onions. Turns out, there is! PureWow tells us all about it, and it involves a surprising material: panty hose!
That’s right, panty hose! You know how in pictures of old-fashioned, traditional markets, the onions are always hanging in a knotted, netted bag? Same idea.
Here’s What You Do
- Place an onion in the foot of a panty hose.
- Tie a knot just above the onion.
- Place another onion into the panty hose on top of the knot and the previous onion.
- Repeat the process until you run out of onions.
- Hang the panty hose of onions in a cool, dark place.
So why does this method work? Onions need to stay dry, and they also need to breathe. Hanging them up in a permeable material like panty hose does both, extending their shelf life for up to six months! When you combine that fact with the recycling of panty hose, this trick is definitely a win-win, don’t you think? Have you ever tried it before?