How to Make Your Own Quick and Easy Pickles
Pickles are kind of a necessity when it comes to pairing things with grilled foods like hot dogs and hamburgers. And if you want to go the extra mile, you can make your own pickles instead of buying them! It doesn’t take long at all to do and it’s very easy. We know you’ll enjoy the garlicky crunch of these homemade pickles – and you’ll take pride in the fact that you made them yourself!
Here’s What You Need:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 cup boiling water
3 cloves garlic, halved
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
4 sprigs fresh dill
3 – 4 Kirby or Persian cucumbers, washed, tip cut off and sliced in half lengthwise
Here’s What You Do:
- Add water, sugar, salt, garlic, peppercorns, vinegar and spices to a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently to dissolve salt and sugar. Allow to boil for 1 minute once boiling.
- Place your cucumbers and dill in an airtight container that can handle heat. Then, pour liquid into the jar. If the liquid doesn’t fully cover your cucumbers, then add enough cold water to completely cover them.
- Let the jar sit, uncovered, at room temperature until fully cool.
- Once cool, cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours. The longer they sit, the better your pickles will taste. They’ll keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.