How To Make The Best Ice Cream Sandwiches EVER
What could be better than an ice cream sandwich? How about an ice cream sandwich made with another summer fair stand-by: funnel cakes? This recipe from POPSUGAR Food shows us that sometimes, dreams really do come true.
– 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1 1/2 quarts vanilla bean ice cream, softened
– 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
– 3 eggs
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 2 cups milk
– 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– Vegetable oil, for frying
– Powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the softened ice cream and strawberry preserves.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the ice cream until incorporated.
- Spread the ice cream mixture onto a plastic-wrap-lined casserole dish or baking sheet. The ice cream should be about an inch thick.
- Cover the dish and place ice cream in the freezer overnight to set.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until incorporated.
- Add the milk slowly and continue to whisk.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder, and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.
- In a large cast iron or heavy bottomed pot, add about 2 inches of oil and heat until a drop of batter cooks quickly.
- Pour the batter into a funnel and use your finger to plug the hole. Quickly move the funnel around over the hot oil, releasing the batter to make designs about 3 inches in diameter.
- Brown each funnel cake on both sides and then remove immediately. Let each one drain on a paper-towel-lined plate. Keep going until you have used up the batter.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer. Use a 2 1/2 inch ring cutter to cut discs out of the ice cream.
- Sandwich each ice cream disc between two funnel cakes and dust the top with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
How amazing do these sandwiches look? I mean, come on. Do you think you’ll try them? Have you ever made your own ice cream sandwiches before?