Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread
When you’re really in need of some warm, delicious, and utterly indulgent comfort food, you can’t do better than garlic bread. Whether you make it yourself or grab an easy loaf from the store, there are few things as guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family. Have you noticed, though, that it seems like that gorgeous garlic taste is always just on the top or part of the bread, instead of all the way through? What we all really want and deserve is bread with flavor in every bite, and for that, we have an easy solution: hasselback style!
You’ve seen us do it before, of course; this delicious technique is the perfect way to get extra flavor into everything from potatoes to chicken to apples. So why not bread?! Slicing and baking a basic loaf this way not only gets you flavor in every bite, it allows you to add something extra, too— like cheese! That’s what we’ve done with this Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread! Let us show you how fantastic it is, then read on for the full recipe so you can try it yourself.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Hasselback Garlic Cheesy Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 – 1-pound loaf bake-and-serve frozen bread, thawed
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ pound sharp white cheddar, sliced
- Place thawed bread dough loaf on a greased baking dish and allow to rise for about 1 hour.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Place the risen dough on the work surface and roll out to the shape of a baguette. Twist the ends in opposite directions to help stretch the dough and to help it keep its shape. Place the shaped loaf on a parchment-lined sheet pan, and cover with plastic.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) and place the bread near the oven. Allow to rise for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the dough and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the bread is baking, combine the melted butter, garlic, basil and salt in a small bowl.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch slices, with each cut only going ¾ of the way through the loaf.
- Brush about half the melted garlic butter in between each slice. Place a slice of the cheddar cheese in between each slice.
- Brush the remaining garlic butter over the top of the stuffed loaf.
- Return bread to oven to bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely. Serve warm.
- Remove the dough from freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Look at how gorgeous and tempting those slices are! The flavor absolutely infuses every slice and every bite, and we really can’t think of a better twist on garlic bread.
Now it’s your turn: what do you think? Have you ever seen or tried hasselback-style bread before? What are some of your own tricks for making sure you get flavor into every bite of garlic bread? Will you try out this recipe? Let us know if you do and be sure to tell us how it turns out for you!
Recipe adapted from Lauren’s Latest