Grilled Chicken Layered Taco Dip
Pan-seared chicken, avocados, and green onions put a smoky twist on classic party food in this grilled chicken layered taco dip. This Mexican-inspired appetizer layers all of the crave-worthy flavors of tacos into a colorful fiesta favorite.
Grill masters can certainly fire up their outdoor gas or charcoal grill for this recipe. But if you’ve got a grill pan, you’re all set to make this fun and simple dip recipe year-round, even in a tiny apartment.
Don’t call it seven layer dip, ’cause we’ve counted: savory refried beans, smooth sour cream, handfuls of shredded cheese, creamy avocado chunks, fresh diced tomatoes, smoky green onions, and ripe black olives. The eighth ingredient? It’s a real party animal: morsels of grilled chicken, with just the right amount of crispy char and a savory little kick from your go-to taco seasoning mix.
This layered taco dip may be convenient to put together, but bland ingredients dumped straight out of a can these are not. Spiked with Old El Paso™ green chiles and taco seasoning, the refried beans especially pack a flavorful punch — you just might be temped to lick the spatula.
Now it’s T-minus 30 minutes until party time and we know what you’re thinking. The answer is sí, you can definitely save time and open up a package of pre-made guacamole in place of the grilled avocado — but you’d be denying your guests that melt-in-your-mouth creaminess that the grill brings out in our favorite green fruit (not to mention those gorgeous grill marks). Trust us, it’s worth the extra step.
Get out those tortilla chips and dig in! Don’t be surprised if all your amigos start grilling you for the recipe.
Grilled Chicken Layered Taco Dip
Makes 10 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 4 green onions
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted, peel on
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 12 oz)
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ chicken taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe black olives
- Heat the grill pan to medium heat.
- Lightly brush ½ teaspoon oil on the green onions. Place the green onions on the grill pan and cook them for 1 to 2 minutes or until light grill marks appear. Chop the grilled onions and set aside.
- Lightly brush ½ teaspoon oil on the cut sides of the avocado. Place the avocados, cut sides down, on the grill pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cut side is charred. Cool slightly, then peel and dice.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the chicken breasts to a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning mix and toss the chicken to evenly coat.
- Place the chicken on the grill pan over medium heat. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until the juice of the chicken is clear when the center of the thickest part is cut (it should be cooked to at least 165°F). Let the chicken stand for 5 minutes, then dice it.
- In a small bowl, mix the refried beans, the remaining taco seasoning mix and the chopped green chiles. Spread the seasoned beans on a platter.
- Carefully spread sour cream on top, leaving a little border of beans. Top with layers of cheese, diced chicken, tomato, avocado, green onions and olives.
Sure, this taco dip has layers, but it’s definitely not complicated, right? So which one is your favorite layer? And what other recipes do you like to create with Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix?
This is a sponsored post, paid for by our partner, Old El Paso®.