When it comes to spicy, delicious ways to enjoy chicken, it doesn’t get much better than buffalo chicken! Still, it’s often relegated to sports-watching appetizer. How can we make it even better AND appropriate for any weeknight family dinner? By grilling it and adding some mozzarella cheese! When you see how it comes together, you’ll never want to eat buffalo chicken any other way. Just watch.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
GRILLED CHEESY BUFFALO CHICKEN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
– 1 pound boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– ½ teaspoon black pepper
– 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
– 1 tablespoon butter, melted
– ¼ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
– ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Preheat a greased grill pan on medium-low heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Insert a paring knife into the thickest part of each chicken breast. Cut down the side and make a 3-inch pocket.
- Season inside and outside the pocket with black pepper. Evenly divide the cheese between the two breasts, placing it inside the prepared pockets. Fold each chicken breast over to close the pockets.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, hot sauce and celery salt. Brush one side of each chicken breast with this hot sauce mixture.
- Place each chicken breast sauce-side-down on the greased grill pan. Brush more sauce over the top of the chicken. Cook for about 7 minutes, then flip the chicken and brush with the remaining sauce.
- Place the grill pan with the chicken in the oven and cook until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius).
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Make sure the fan above the stove is on before placing the chicken on the grill pan. This will draw the fumes from the hot sauce up through the vent and away from you while cooking.
Recipe adapted from Peanut Butter & Peppers