Hydrangea Meringue Cookies – The Perfect Mother’s Day Treat
No matter how old we all get, our moms will always appreciate a homemade gift most of all. Follow that instinct and add a grown-up twist with these Hydrangea Meringue Cookies from Haniela’s. They look as lovely as they taste, and are sure to bring a smile to Mom’s face!
– 4 egg whites, room temperature
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Pinch of salt
– Pink, purple and royal blue Food Coloring (Haniela recommends Americolos Gel Color)
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking template by drawing circles onto parchment paper, using a glass or a cookie cutter for even shapes. Flip the paper so it is ink/graphite-side down and secure it on the back of a baking sheet with some Crisco. Set aside.
- In the clean bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the egg whites, sugar and pinch of salt.
- Put the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir with the whisk until the sugar dissolves, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer bowl back onto the mixer and beat the mixture on high.
- Add the vanilla extract. Beat until glossy and thick meringue has formed. Meringue should hold a peak.
- Divide the meringue into 3 portions. Color each portion with a different food coloring. Fold the color into the meringue. Do not worry about even color; white streaks are fine!
- Fill three piping bags with each of the colored meringues.
- Fit a large piping bag with a Wilton 2D piping tip. Place all 3 piping bags filled with meringues into the large piping bag fitted with the piping tip.
- Start piping to get the colors flowing evenly. As soon as you see all 3 colored meringues coming out, start piping onto the parchment, using the template as a guide. Pipe the circles first and then fill the centers.
- Bake for 2 hours. After baking, turn off the oven and leave the cookies in the oven until they and the oven cool down, preferably overnight.
- Peel the cookies from the parchment. Store in an airtight container, layered between pieces of wax paper.
Have you ever made meringue before? Do you think your mom would like these cookies?