Fully-Loaded Mashed Potato Balls
Everybody loves mashed potatoes, and yet it seems like every time we make them we have tons of leftovers. If we’re being honest, reheated mashed potatoes are not so great, but we can’t bring ourselves to let them go to waste. What to do? Transform them into an awesome fried appetizer! These Fully-Loaded Mashed Potato Balls are like the most decked-out baked potato turned bite-sized, addictive treat. Check them out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
FULLY-LOADED MASHED POTATO BALLS
Makes 16 to 20 potato balls
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs (We used panko!)
- ½ inch vegetable oil, for frying (The exact amount of oil will vary according to the size of your pot!)
- Mix the mashed potatoes, cheese, pepper, green onions and garlic powder together. Taste and add salt if needed. Mix in the egg.
- Form the potato mixture into small, 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the bread crumbs until they are all evenly-coated.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry the potato balls, four at a time, for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain the potato balls on paper towels before serving.
- Try to keep the oil as consistently close to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) as possible while frying. You may need to adjust the burner’s heat up or down accordingly. An instant-read digital thermometer really comes in handy for checking that the oil has reached the correct temperature!