Fudgy and Dreamy Cookies and Cream Brownies
There must be something in the bakery air this week, because for the second time I’ve found a recipe that turns one of my favorite ice cream flavors into delicious brownies. This one comes to us from the Cooking Channel and uses everybody’s favorite cookie to add a creamy twist to fudgy flavor.
– 11 3/4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
– Seven 1 ounce squares dark chocolate, grated or finely chopped
– 3 eggs
– 2 egg yolks
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– Generous 3/4 cup soft light brown sugar, solidly packed
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
– Pinch of salt
– One 5-ounce package Oreos (or your favorite chocolate sandwich) cookies (about 13 cookies), broken into quarters
– Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a square 8-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper, with the paper overlapping the sides a little.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the grated chocolate. Let stand for a few minutes until the chocolate goes soft, then stir together.
You can also perform the previous two steps by putting the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melting in the microwave in 25-second blasts, stirring well each time.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar in two additions, whisking between each. Pour it around the side of the egg mix so as not to knock out the air that has been whisked in to it. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes stiff.
- Pour the chocolate into the egg mixture, again around the sides so as not to knock the air out.
- Sift the cocoa into a large bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, and a third of the Oreos. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Scatter the remaining Oreos over the top, pressing them in slightly.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25 to 30 minutes, until the middle is slightly gooey.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan. The top will sink and crack a little.
- Pull the brownies out using the overlapping paper and cut the brownies into squares. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve!
Yum! I love adding new variations to my brownie-recipe collection. Will you be adding this one to your repertoire?