The 4th of July is all about celebrating the independence of our country, and what better way to celebrate than with some fabulous American-inspired dishes that you can share with friends and family? From takes on the famous “flag cake” to dishes that are perfect for potlucks, I’ve found some great recipes from around the web that can help you celebrate whatever barbecue, picnic or party that you’re planning on attending this long weekend. Take a look!
Looking for the perfect frugal main or side dish to bring to a 4th of July barbecue or to prepare for your own get-together? Check out some of these great recipes that are sure to please any crowd.
- Perfect Guacamole:WikiMedia
This one couldn’t be easier, and everyone loves guacamole at a cookout. Just mix the ingredients together and serve with bagel or tortilla chips.
- “Toss It In” Pasta Salad:$5 DinnersPasta salad is one of the most frugal dishes you can prepare with (basically) whatever you have lying around. This recipe utilized tomatoes, cucumber, sliced turkey and shredded cheese.
- Perfect Potato Salad:Here’s a cookout favorite that can serve a whole lot of people on the cheap.
- Grilled Mushroom Burgers:$5 DinnersGrilled mushrooms and onions make this burger a masterpiece on the cheap.
- Barbecue Ribs:Brent HofackerRibs are a barbecue favorite! An obvious choice for America’s birthday celebrations.
- Patriotic Taco Salad:Taste of HomeThis yummy taco salad, featuring ground beef, corn chips, tomatoes, olives and cheese, looks like a pretty delicious American flag.
In addition to showing off our nation’s flag’s colors, these decorative desserts look delicious and easy enough to make. With any luck, they won’t serve as decorations for too long!
- Patriotic and No-Bake Red, White and Blue Cheesecake:Everyday FoodHere’s the perfect, fresh red white and blue dessert to finish off your meal.
- Beautiful No-Bake Red, White and Blue Berry Trifle:Everyday FoodBerry trifle that looks and slices like a cake? Say no more!
- Lemonade American Flag Cake:Bebe A La Mode DesignsThis recipe from Bebe a la Mode utilizes plain old box cake and some frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed) to make the actual sheet cake. Then raspberries and blueberries make up the stars and the stripes.
- Summer Dessert Pizza:AllRecipes
Bake your own dough and cover with seasonal fruits, whipped topping and other easy ingredients to make this one-of-a-kind summer favorite for your celebration.
- Rhubarb and Strawberry Custard Pie:Food WishesThis easy recipe uses some common summer ingredients but is anything but ordinary.
- Epic American Flag Cake:Cookies Cupcakes and CardioThis is an impressive cake for only the most serious of patriotic bakers.
- Jell-O Flag Cake:Food NetworkA lighter flag cake option.
- 4th of July Cocktail:CD KitchenMaybe a cocktail doesn’t count as a dessert, but this blue cocktail can be made in a big batch for lots of people. Just add a sinker of grenadine to each glass to give it an American flag feel.
- Red, White and Blue Muffins:$5 DinnersRaspberries, blueberries and almonds give these muffins a patriotic look.
What are some of your favorite American-inspired recipes? How do you plan on celebrating this year? Please share your ideas with us in the comments section below. Thanks for being a Tip Hero!