Extra-Thick Rich Hot Chocolate
I remember sitting in a cozy cafe in Prague and sipping this really thick hot chocolate for the first time. That’s when I broke up with Swiss Miss and vowed never to drink watery hot chocolate again. I found this great recipe for rich extra-thick hot chocolate for two.
Italian Hot Chocolate
4 oz. dark chocolate, shaved
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
whipped cream, optional
It’s also great to add a pinch of chili powder or cayanne pepper to give it a little more ummph.
– Place shaved chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and add 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract.
– Use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate as it begins to melt.
– Slowly add remaining milk and continuing stirring until completely smooth.
– Add in sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and sea salt, and stir until everything is dissolved and combined.
– Once mixture boils, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until thickened enough that it coats the back of your spoon.
– Pour into 2 mugs (top with whipped cream if desired) and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Bell’Alimento