Even More Uses for Baking Soda
It seems to me that you can do just about everything with the aid of baking soda. That may be an exaggeration, but the uses for baking soda just seem never-ending. I came across this great article by Shelterpop about some unusual uses for baking soda that you might not have thought of on your own. Nevertheless, these tips just prove that baking soda is a frugal guy/girl’s best friend.
Here are some of the uses Shelterpop found for baking soda, inspired by Vicki Lansky’s book, Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of:
- Drain cleaner: take a half cup of baking soda and pour down the drain followed by half a cup of white vinegar. Place a glass bowl over the top of the drain for two hours, and then rinse with hot water. This should remove the grease and dirt build-up throughout your pipes.
- Vacuum odors: sprinkle baking soda on the floor and vacuum it up to get rid of odors in your vacuum.
- Musty books: sprinkle baking soda between the pages of old books and brush it out a few days later for a fresh scent.
- Plastic shower curtains: wash mildewed or dirty plastic shower curtains in the washing machine on gentle with a few bath towels, then add in a half cup of baking soda and detergent during the wash cycle. Add in one cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle, then allow to drip dry.
- Stinky clothes: place clothing with deep odors (smoke, gasoline, etc.) in a plastic bag with baking soda for two days, then wash as usual.
Be sure to check out 15 Unusual Uses For Baking Soda for the rest of the 15 uses of baking soda, and let us know if you have any more of your own!