Here’s a Quick and Easy Recipe for Irish Soda Bread
With St. Patrick’s Day in less than a month, many are preparing to celebrate their Irish heritage with some traditional dishes, like Irish soda bread. Others (myself included) aren’t Irish in the slightest but still enjoy this delicious bread this time of year! This Irish soda bread recipe is simple, using only the necessary ingredients, and yields a loaf of moist, perfectly crumbly soda bread! Watch the video below, brought to us by AllRecipes, and learn how to make this easy soda bread.
EASY IRISH SODA BREAD
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– 4 tablespoons white sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup margarine, softened 1 cup buttermilk
– 1 egg 1/4 cup butter, melted
– 1/4 cup buttermilk
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an ‘X’ into the top of the loaf.
3. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.
Do you have an Irish soda bread recipe you love? Share it in the comments section below!